21.10.11

Souvenirs From Tokyo #2

Over two trips to Japan, I now have a small collection of books purchased in Tokyo. I feel both inspired and nostalgic when I look through them now.

Hamburger magazine (filled with places to eat the best hamburgers in Tokyo),  and two cookbooks by Harumi Kurihara that I found in a small bookstore near our hotel.
Books from Japan

I was really excited when I picked up the cookbooks because they're bilingual! Every page is in both English and Japanese.
Books from Japan

Camera Biyori (Life with Camera magazine), Flat House Life (filled with cozy, stylish bungalows), Michikusa (illustrated walks around Tokyo) and Chibi Maruko-chan (comic book).
Books from Japan

Photo book the eyes, the ears by Rinko Kawauchi (we saw her photo exhibit at Foil Gallery), and two books documenting interesting apartments.
Books from Japan

Arne magazines. I wish I had more of these. Basically a woman made a very good zine about things she liked.
Books from Japan

The photography is modest and lo-fi. This issue is all about food. Every step is detailed.
Books from Japan

Travelsands and Dandelion. Travels books by Aoi Yu (actress) and Yoko Takahashi (photographer). One is in California, the other Siberia. Siberia looks stunning in the photos but must be absolutely freezing. Aoi Yu always has the best clothes! Some of the outfits in here are amazing!
Books from Japan

Books for knitting and sewing. It was hard to limit myself in the crafts section of the Kinokuniya bookstore. Very, very hard.
Books from Japan

Maybe it seems strange to buy books you can't really read, but I think it reminds me all the more of the feeling of being in Japan, where most of the time I didn't understand the language around me. Not understanding everything, but being fascinated and interested was part of everyday life when I was there, and I got to bring a bit of that back with me.

2 comments:

  1. I love all of those Japanese sewing pattern books! I love them ALL. Also love that furry hat on Siberia Yoko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The detailed food book reminds me of that blog "it will stop raining" what is it about detailed food photos that is soooo fun? And forever interesting.

    ReplyDelete